Saturday, June 11, 2011

What's for Breakfast? Crepes!

Bon matin!  People that know me know I am obsessed with Paris.  I guess it stems from having taken 6 years of French in school and studying for a summer over there.  The summer I studied in Paris, I swear I had a crepe almost every day for 2 months.  The crepeman knew me and my crew.  Without knowing this, my sister-in-laws gave me and my husband a whole crepe setup the Christmas before last.  Sully and I declared that Sunday mornings would be "Crepe Sundays".  Well, it didn't happen every Sunday, and sometimes it is on Saturday morning, but we like to do it when we can.  Sully has become a master crepe maker.  You can do whatever toppings you like, but below is our fave.  Bon appetit!

Ooh La La Crepes
Serves 2-4

1 cup all-purpose flour
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1/4 pound shaved deli ham, browned in a skillet
2 roma or campari tomatoes
kosher salt
fresh thyme (this is a key ingredient!)
fresh cracked pepper
1 cup grated Gruyere cheese
1/2 container sliced mushrooms, sauteed until golden

 Slice the tomatoes in very thin rounds.  Sprinkle with salt and thyme and set aside (this will draw out some of the moisture so they don't make your crepes watery). In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour and the eggs. Gradually add in the milk and water, stirring to combine. Add the salt and butter; beat until smooth. Heat a lightly oiled crepe pan (because everyone has one of these!) or small frying pan over medium high heat. Measure out just under 1/3 cup and pour onto hot pan. Tilt the pan with a circular motion so that the batter coats the surface evenly. Cook the crepe for about 30 seconds to 1 minute, until the bottom is light brown. Loosen with a spatula, turn and cook the other side. Reserve and cover with foil.  Continue with rest of the batter. Spread other toppings over half of a crepe.  Fold other side over and then fold the entire thing in half again (if you need to re-warm in the toaster oven, do so).  Mmmmmm.



1 comment: